Google
 

Friday, July 27, 2007

Retro Software: Go!Zilla (Gozilla)

I saw the Internet Turbo icon in the taskbar of my professor's laptop. He uses the laptop to display slides in the class. I once used Internet Turbo as well back when broadband was non-existent. Dial-up internet access was all I had and I always get disconnected from the ISP. Dial-up is a pain in the ass. Slow as hell. Internet Turbo was supposed to boost your connection as it pings your ISP and keeps the connection alive so that you don't get dc - a term we used to disconnected - from the ISP. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Then Go!Zilla came to my mind. Downloading an mp3 song over Napster took 30 minutes on a 56K connection. When I started exploring the endless information (the bad inclusive), I downloaded tons of stuffs. I really needed a download manger because with it I could resume my unfinished downloads. The idea behind the download manager is that it selects to download from several mirrors and chooses the ones which are faster. Go!Zilla was one of the most popular one back then. The download meter bar was color coded and it's always exciting to me when I saw my downloads peaked to the red level at a whopping 5.0 KBps Go!Zilla is a download manager that was created in 1995. It was better than Download Accelerator Plus (DAP). I tried DAP after it was recommended by the InTech section of TheStar newspaper. Turned out that Go!Zilla was still the winner. Hence, I dedicate this post to my old memories of Go!Zilla.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

ss_blog_claim=63b607131aac3f64f6ca91498c8d4c25