Google
 

Monday, February 11, 2008

How to Disable Dell Support Center Startup

After installing the newer Dell Support Center, I couldn't close the program from the system tray because right clicking on the tray icon doesn't bring up the Close or Exit option. To be exact, there's no such option. I don't need that to start automatically everytime I boot up Windows Vista. Here's the solution to disable Dell Support Center from starting up everytime you load up Windows.

Bring up the Command Window (Run Windows) by pressing Windows + R. Type in msconfig and press Enter. Under the General tab, choose the Selective startup bullet if you're not already using that mode. Then, under the Startup tab, uncheck the boxes for dscactivate and SupportSoft sprtcmd. Click Apply or OK and restart Windows. Next time you start Windows, the Dell Support Center will NOT be loaded anymore. Yay! To access Dell Support Center, you can use the Start > Programs menu when you wish to.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU a MILLION TIMES! I love my Dell, but I hate that feakin' support center and how Dell has imbedded itself into everything it possibly can!

Anonymous said...

This solved my problem. Thank for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I did this, and it disabled it when I rebooted, but came back the following time. It just won't go away!

Unknown said...

thanks i tried disabling dsactive but that didnt work, needed the other one disabled too

Anonymous said...

Thank you...been wanting to disable Dell support on startup for ages. Thanks

Unknown said...

Awesome. It worked on Windows XP the same way. And the shortcut rather than typing msconfig was awesome too. Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that I had double SupportSoft Sprtcmd in my startup. Does anyone know why? I disable both anyway.
/Ploplen

Guy with vista said...

I only have the SupportSoft Sprtcmd and no dscavtivate, like its not there at all. What do i do?

Brian Collins said...

FYI: This article is incorrect. Apparently you need to deactiviate the “SupportSoft Sprocket Service” in the SERVICES tab. For good measure I also deactivated the "SupportSoft" and "dscactivate" lines in the STARTUP tab. The key is the item in the Services tab, however if you don’t want the Dell Support Center to come back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

ss_blog_claim=63b607131aac3f64f6ca91498c8d4c25